Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Patience

Aunt Carm (dad's sister) came to visit and it was so good to see her. She is doing well and they came to visit my cousin Donny who lives in Tuscon. Donny is going through chemo for cancer and did not tell my Aunt till she came here. He did not want her to worry about him. He is doing good with the treatments, he has no hair and would rather not talk about the cancer which is OK. I think my aunt and uncle will give up their 2nd home in Florida and get one in Tuscon. I was so happy to see my aunt and uncle cause the last time I saw them was at my dad's funeral. My dad and aunt were always such good friends, loving to tease one another and were very close. Seeing her made me miss my dad so much.

Last week this girl turned 14. Holy cow where does the time go? She makes me laugh and keeps me on my toes. She makes life fun and is a beautiful young lady.
We woke to find her friends decorating the yard.


I have always been a practical person. When it comes time for gifts I turn things we need into gifts. Like for Christmas last year we go the new microwave and when the kids need new clothes they get them for b days and Christmas. Some would say I am not always practical and that I am "spoiled" and get what ever I want. Yes if there is something I want I do find a way to get it or I secretly stop wanting it. But I do not "spoil" myself often. However the fact remains for the most part I am practical. Like when we re did our kitchen I told Bret there was no need to get all new appliances because the ones we had when we got the house were all new than. Well it has been over 15 years ago that we bought our house and the appliances are getting old. Our dishwasher basically requires us to hand wash things before we load them in to be washed. So this year when my mom asked what we wanted for Christmas I told here that none of us really needed anything. Our basic needs were met and I could not think of anything we all wanted. Than it hit me. A SHINING NEW DISHWASHER would do the trick. The whole family would benefit from this. I looked at adds and could picture a pretty new stainless steel dishwasher taking the place of my old white one. That would mean I would be that much closer to updating the look of my kitchen to stainless appliances. The fridge and oven will be going soon I am sure. Well my mom and I decided on this as our gift for Christmas in late October and I did not feel the need to hurry and pick out the perfect gift. Well with Kaden in the hospital the second week in November and than his passing the dishwasher was the last thing on my mind. Heck I wanted to forget all about Christmas but felt that it would not be fair to my family if I did. My mom ended giving us a hand written note for the dishwasher in a card and I just had to find the one I wanted and it would be mine. Well this past Saturday Bret and I shopped for the perfect gift and here she is...........Drum roll please.........






TA DA...... My new dryer. The old one gave out the previous week and with a call to my mom we traded in our gift for something more practical than a dishwasher. I can handle hand washing dishes but towels and underwear that are hung out in your kitchen to dry suck. So my dream for the pretty new dishwasher will have to wait till the budget turns around and we can save for one. Until than I am enjoying my soft, dry, clothes that I dry in my pretty new dryer. Thank you mom.
Now I know why I never actually got the dishwasher. Someone knew I would have a greater need and being patient I now know why. Thanks.

3 comments:

michele sharpy said...

WOw and WOW again! Seeing the sweet picture of Aunt Carme made me miss her, and dad. A lot. I love her so much. Thanks for the picture, she looks so nice!
And what a story about your new dryer! It shows what patience will do for someone, when the right thing happens at the right time. I love you Julz. Lots.....

jen said...

This was a great post, not only on patience, but on perspective as well. I admire you for so many reasons, but your perspective on this issue is really amazing. Wish I had a spare dishwasher . . .

Tara said...

Funny how things work out sometimes huh? Well, I do hate handwashing dishes but I hate going to the laundry mat more, so I think you made a great choice. ;)