Well Jacquie, Rusty, and Kaden came to visit last night and as usual we all fought over getting to hold Kaden. We just love having him around and can't get enough of him. Well Rusty and Bret go into the bedroom to watch some movie that was taped and after about 5 min Rusty is out like a light. He sleeps so soundly that Jacquie can not trust that he will get up with Kaden in the night for his feeds. Well not long after Rusty falls asleep in the bedroom I see that Jacquie is passed out in the recliner. So I decide I will not wake them and let them just sleep over and I will take care of Kaden. Well after one night I can see why they are so tired. He is on a feeding schedule that is every 3 hours. Not bad to those of us mom's who have been there and done that. Well you see he takes a bottle and you give him 30 min to consume what he can on his own and the rest goes in a feeding tube. Easy, right???? Not!!! You calculate what he has left in the bottle and set the feeding pump to give him the rest over the next hour. When the feed is almost done it alarms so you can reset it for a few more min and make sure that there is no air in the line. Than after the food is all gone it alarms again for you to stop the feeding. So right there it takes 1 1/2 hours to feed him and that means you have a 1 1/2 hour break. 24/7 now i see why they are sooo tired. He also has some reflux issues and you should not move him around a lot during or right after his feedings. Well I forgot to change him before he ate and did so after, normally no big deal. Well while changing him he peed all over the place so I had to change his outfit and in the process he threw up all over me. I guess I will always remember to change him before I feed him in the future. He is such a good baby. He rarely cries and when he does it is so soft and raspy that it will not wake you, an alarm must be set. Unless you just can't get enough of him and stay up between feedings. At midnight I ran to Walmart to get some diapers cause he only had a couple in his diaper bag and was not prepared for a spend the night. Auntie Rachel got to babysit for the first time (if it counts that Jacquie was in the same room asleep). Luckily my freezer is full of milk from when he was in the hospital and pumping and freezing was all that his milk was used for. I did have to wake Jacquie to find out how to mix the fortifier they have to add to his feeds cause they did not bring enough for the slumber party. Luckily Jacquie brought over a big oxygen tank, some of the fortifier and bottle liners to just have some things at my house. This morning when they left and all seemed to be well rested and ready for their day. Silly me I have to work and will have to put sleep off for a while.
6 years ago





3 comments:
Oh my goodness I am tired just reading this! I hope he doesn't have to stay on this schedule for very long! Luckily he has a sweet Grandma to hlep atke care of him and sacrifice her sleep!
what a nice grandma. i bet they love you even more for that. wow - alot of work all day and all night! way to go jacquie
And that, my friends, is why you become a Grandma: one sleepless night and you're a hero!
Can't wait till I get to that stage (oh yeah. That will be never.).
Post a Comment