Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Friendships

Yesterday I did something crazy. I picked up the phone and called a friend I have not talked to since the 5Th grade..... Stop calculating it was over 35 years ago. We found each other through face book and to reconnect was fun. She was actually here in AZ visiting her parents in Scottsdale. She moved to San Diego way back when and I remembering crying as the moving van pulled away. As kids we did not keep in good contact through letters. We did not have home computers or cell phones to text and to call long distance on my parents budget would not go over to well. I have thought of her many times over the years but never did anything about it. She actually tried to contact me a few years back and the letter was returned to her. She lived here in AZ for a few years and now lives in San Francisco where I was just last year on my cruise. We keep missing each other but we will re connect. We talked like it was yesterday that we hung out and caught up on some of our life happenings. She has never married but has traveled extensively and lived in other countries. Has her own businesses and is doing well. I felt a bit envious. I think she felt a bit envious of my live of being married and having 5 great kids and a beautiful angelic grandson. This got me thinking that sometimes no matter what we do in live we will always wish we could have done more. It also made me think about how much I am blessed with and would really not want it any other way. I look at it now that when I want to visit some of the places she lived she can come with me and be my tour guide. I think back to my childhood friends, my high school friends, and the friends I've had as an adult and all of them have touched my life in some way. I have many fond memories of all of them and some painful ones too. I have never been the perfect friend but from all these life lessons I hope I have learned to be a better friend and to be a little kinder. People do come into our lives for a reason and leave for a reason to. It helps us to move forward and learn from others. I am just thankful I can go back and still feel that bond with old friends as well as my new ones. Life is to short to not love those around us. Thank you my friends new and old...

6 comments:

michele sharpy said...

Now I am dying to know who you mean!

Tara said...

I feel inspired to be a better friend! Thanks!

Alexis C. said...

I love this Julie! So so so true! Just what i needed to hear! Literally. So glad you got to reconnect!!

Cindy said...

How funny, Bret and I were driving home from the mountains sunday and started talking about two of our dearest friends - Kim and Julie - and what made them our friends. Love ya like a sister!

Gail said...

Do I qualify as and OLD friend, cuz I feel like one:). Well said!

Dana said...

AMEN SISTA!!!!